The College Access, Success & Alumni Support Program, a core component of the After School Program, begins in high school to create pathways to college for StreetSquash’s high school participants. Upon graduation from high school the program provides college counseling and support services through college graduation and beyond.
StreetSquash’s College Access Program begins in 9th grade for all StreetSquash students. The program provides intensive support and guidance throughout all stages of the college admissions process, helping build awareness in the early stages, so that students have the opportunity to attend a college that fits their educational and personal needs.
- Weekly Sessions: Students attend a weekly College Prep session focused on ACT prep, essay writing, and college guidance.
- Standardized Test Prep: StreetSquash provides intensive, individualized ACT preparation for all 11th grade students including multiple practice tests.
- College Visits: Every year StreetSquash visits a range of colleges in New York City and throughout New York State and the northeast. By the time students graduate from high school, they will have visited 12-15 colleges. In addition, college admissions officers come to Harlem to meet with StreetSquash students throughout the year and at the annual StreetSquash College Fair in May.
- College Prep Mentors: In 12th grade, each StreetSquasher is paired with a College Prep Mentor. College Prep Mentors meet weekly with students to support their college applications.
- College Guidance: Participants and their families receive individualized support to build a college list, apply to a wide range of schools, complete financial aid applications, and choose the school that is the best fit.
College Success & Alumni Support
The College Success & Alumni Support Program is focused on supporting StreetSquash students through their post-secondary education and connecting them with educational and professional opportunities after completing high school. The program begins even before students are accepted into college, through career panels, mock interviews, and resume workshops.
- Campus Visits: The College Success team visits every college student on campus each semester. They help the students build relationships with advisors, deans, admissions officers, and squash coaches who are equipped to address individual student needs throughout the semester.
- Beginning College Program: High school graduates participate in an intensive summer workshop for to prepare them for the expectations and realities of college life before they set foot in a college classroom or dorm.
- Professional Development: During school vacations, StreetSquash conducts professional development workshops with our volunteers and corporate partners. The alumni work with their mentors and get matched with internship opportunities in a range of fields.
- Alumni Events: Throughout the year StreetSquash hosts two annual alumni squash tournaments, monthly ‘family dinners’ and various events during school breaks to keep StreetSquash alumni connected to the program.
For additional details on the College Success program, view the 2016 – 2017 College Success Profile.