Community Service is one of the core components of StreetSquash’s programs. From 6th-12th grade, Participants are required to participate in service projects in their community. Projects include planting trees with Million Trees NYC, reading to elementary school students, preparing meals at the Neighborhood Coalition for Shelter, and the Breast Cancer Walk in Central Park.
- Service Learning Curriculum: alongside hands-on community service work, participants engage in a project-specific curriculum to develop an understanding of the need and impact of their service.
- Student Leadership Committee (Harlem): Participants apply for leadership positions as Team Captains, Team Mentors, Peer Mentors, and other leadership positions within the SLC. Participants undergo leadership training throughout the year and devote themselves to mentoring younger students and their peers.
Community Service Partners & Events
- Global Youth Service Day
- American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Walk
- AIDS Walk New York
- New York Food Bank
- Million Trees NYC
- Neighborhood Coalition for Shelter
- Food Bank for New York City
- Carrie McCracken TRUCE Community Garden
StreetSquash is always looking for new Community Service Partners and sites. Please contact email@example.com for new opportunities.