Job Title: Manager of Development
Location: New York, NY (Harlem)
Type: Full Time, Exempt, In-Person
StreetSquash was founded in Harlem in September 1999 as the second squash and education program in the United States. A comprehensive youth enrichment program, StreetSquash combines academic tutoring, squash instruction, community service, college preparation, leadership development, and mentoring for young people ages 11-24. What began as an after-school program with 24 middle school students and two staff members has expanded to serve 400 participants from 6th grade through college graduation, and entry into the workforce. Learn more about us at www.streetsquash.org.
About the Position
StreetSquash is seeking a passionate and hard-working Manager of Development to join our talented team of professionals in our Development and Communications department. The ideal candidate will have 4-5 years of experience working in business development or fundraising for an NGO, social enterprise, or educational institution (internships excluded). A successful candidate enjoys finding creative solutions and thrives in some degree of uncertainty. This position will work closely with the Executive Director on all fundraising campaigns.
For a more experienced candidate, there is an opportunity to lead the Development and Communications department.
- Oversee ~6 annual fundraising campaigns ranging from $5,000 to $1.5mm in revenue, including peer-to-peer, ticketed events, and an annual appeal
- Build and maintain strong, positive relationships with existing and prospective donors
- Manage the StreetSquash Young Leadership Committee (YLC), a network of 50+ young professionals
- Support revenue generation and strategic initiatives related to The Squash Academy, StreetSquash’s auxiliary junior squash training initiative
- Support the recruitment and management of StreetSquash’s volunteers
- Work collaboratively with team members on strategic communications and marketing to support fundraising efforts and brand development
- Manage online fundraising platform, creating and overseeing all campaigns for the organization
- Manage Salesforce donor database and work with accounting department to ensure routine upkeep
- Business development or fundraising for NGOs, social enterprises, or educational institutions.
- Special events and project management, including peer-to-peer fundraising experience
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Upbeat, can-do attitude with a passion for taking initiative and strategic thinking
- Comfort with making decisions independently, combined with an ability to work collaboratively
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Technical skills: proficiency in Salesforce or similar CRM is required; proficiency in
- Google Suite
- Sensitivity to different cultures and communities; demonstrated ability to work well with diverse or marginalized populations; can bring in allies across diverse communities
- Familiarity with squash is a plus but not required.
Hours/Work Location: The Manager of Development will be expected to work a 40-hour week, which is generally completed Monday-Friday. The Development Manager should also be prepared to work some evenings and weekends, when there are events or projects that require non-traditional work hours. StreetSquash is currently operating in person at the S.L. Green StreetSquash Center on 115th St. in Harlem.
Vaccination: StreetSquash has implemented a policy requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated and submit proof as to their vaccination status in order to work on-site. Therefore, all new hires, prior to their start date, will be required to: (1) be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (i.e., receive both doses of a two-dose vaccine or a single dose of a one-dose vaccine) and provide the Organization with a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination card, or (2) or receive an accommodation exempting them from the vaccination requirement. StreetSquash will keep any information about an employee or applicant’s vaccination status confidential in accordance with, and to the extent required by, applicable law.
Compensation & Benefits: StreetSquash offers competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Full benefits include employer-supported health coverage, monthly MetroCard or equivalent transit stipend, monthly cell phone stipend, FSA, paid federal holidays, 20 days of paid vacation plus 5 day holiday break between Christmas Eve and New Years Day, 40 hours of sick time, 3 personal days (after the first 90 days), and 401k contributions (after 1 year of employment).
Application Process: Interested candidates must submit a targeted cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, how you heard about this opportunity, and why you are passionate about StreetSquash’s mission. (300 words maximum). Attach the letter and resume, addressed to the hiring committee at StreetSquash, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be facilitated via phone, Zoom, and in person. Final applicants will be requested to consent to a pre-employment background check. A background check is required to extend a job offer.